Frequently Asked Questions - ITLocator Users
On these pages, you will find information that should help you as you begin your search for a local, IT expert (solution provider).
- What is ITLocator.com?
- How much does it cost to use ITLocator.com?
- Where does the solution provider profile come from?
- Where does the expert content come from?
Search by IT Vertical Specialty
- How do I know which specialty to choose?
- My search returned too many or too few solution providers. How do I narrow or expand the results?
- Why are you showing me solution providers located outside the city or zip code I selected?
- How are the search results determined?
- Can solution providers influence where they appear on the search results list?
- Why do some solution providers have more information than others?
- If I see incorrect information on a solution providers profile page, what should I do?
- What are peer endorsements?
What is ITLocator.com?
- ITLocator.com is a free website, created by the leading and oldest independent community of solution providers in the world (founded in 1984), which rates and profiles solution providers to help people and businesses choose the right solution provider. ITLocator.com makes the process of selecting a solution provider easier by presenting the detailed profile for solution providers throughout the United States, Canada and a growing list of countries around the world. The process of selecting a solution provider can be very difficult. The transparency provided by the ITLocator aids all consumers of IT products and services.
How much does it cost to use ITLocator.com?
- ITLocator is free — you can use view all of the content and the detailed solution provider profiles for free. ITLocator does charge a flat, relatively small fee to the solution providers, which insures an incentive to update and keep accurate their profiles on a timely basis with complete information for you. An information site with free listings does not maximize the requirement of accurate and timely information.
Wheredoes the solution provider profile come from?
- Information comes from the solution providers themselves. TechnologyNet, Inc. and its affiliate company reviews the content created by third parties in detail. ITLocator brings all this data together in one convenient, easy-to-use website, so you don‘t have to spend hours trying to find it all yourself. You can also be assured that with an industry standard format and content and a vertical search tool, you will be receiving a more targeted and transparent content listing than what the horizontal, major search engines make available today.If you feel that you have found incorrect information on a solution provider‘s profile, please let us know immediately. Our goal is to ensure that all data on each solution provider is accurate, up-to-date, and as helpful as possible.
Where does the expert content come from?
- We believe that ITLocator is the first site that integrates in a professional and formal way, content written by independent experts that are actually installing and creating IT solutions on a daily basis. The content is written by The ASCII Group members, the world’s oldest and largest community of IT solution providers and managed service providers, and is written from the viewpoint of what is best in class and what really works for a specific user need, not what is promoted by a specific manufacturer, which will only be part of any final solution.
How do I know which specialty to choose?
- Be as specific as you can in selecting a vertical area — that way, ITLocator can show you which solution provider has that local expertise. Think about your IT issue and what type of experience you would like your local solution provider to have. If you are not sure, you can do a location search and look at what services are available close to you.
My search returned too many or too few solution providers. How do I narrow or expand the results?
- The easiest way to narrow or expand your search results is by targeting your search location or key word.
Why are you showing me solution providers located outside the city or zip code I selected?
- When you search by city or zip code, ITLocator includes solution providers with an exact match, and also those within a 100 mile radius. This way you can see a broader selection of solution providers who are still close to your desired location. If you would like to see the list of solution providers sorted by distance from the location you entered, click on the “Radius” button.
How are the search results determined?
- When you initiate a search, the results are determined by several factors, including the amount of information that we know about a solution provider, a solution provider’s geographical location, and the vertical expertise of the solution provider and vendor specific authorizations and certifications.
Can solution providers influence where they appear on the search results list?
- NO. A solution provider’s rank in the search results is based on how well they match your search criteria, not a preset ranking by algorithms or the number of linkages to a solution provider’s web site. Advertising is completely independent of search results — search results cannot be influenced by advertising, or any other form of payment.
Why do some solution providers have more information than others?
- Solution providers profile data comes from their own information, and some are more descriptive than others, although our standard profiles ask the same information from all.
If I see incorrect information on a solution providers profile page, what should I do?
- If you see information that is incorrect, please let us know immediately. Our goal is to ensure that all data on ITLocator is as accurate, up-to-date, and as helpful as possible.
What are peer endorsements?
- Peer endorsements are recommendations of one solution provider by another solution provider. They are a form of industry recognition and they also allow you to see the solution provider’s network. Many situations, just like in the medical world, require a solution provider to seek assistance from another solution provider with other specific expertise, and endorsements can show how well-connected a solution provider is to the community where specialties are becoming more common.